Your Kindergarten and First Grade Children Deserve the best in the Triad
Learn how we help our primary school students reach new heights
WHAT MAKES OUR KINDERGARTEN UNIQUE?
- A wonderful research based hands-on reading program
- State of the art technology such as interactive white boards, classroom computers, neo boards, and access to educational web-based programs
- Positive reinforcement behavior system
WONDERING ABOUT THE CURRICULUM?
- NC Standards
- English Language Arts instruction focuses on phonological awareness, word recognition, fluency, writing and oral communication and technology skills
- We use a research based hands-on reading program
- Math addresses counting and cardinality, operations and algebraic thinking, numbers and operations in base ten, measurement and geometry
- In Social Studies, we study changes over time, basic economic concepts, citizenship, cultural similarities and differences
- In Science, our kindergarteners enjoy learning about forces and motion, matter, weather and animals
- Field trips to enhance learning
SMALL CLASS SIZES
At Phoenix Academy, small class sizes enable teachers to meet the individual needs of our diverse learners. Our positive reinforcement program enhances our small class sizes allowing students to grow both academically and socially.
We are proud to announce our state of the art technology. Our first grade curriculum is enhanced by the use of interactive whiteboards and computer projectors in each classroom. Additionally, we use document cameras, flip cameras, and technology to make learning exciting! First graders use our mobile laptop lab to practice keyboarding as well as creating and saving documents.
Our first graders enjoy learning with us. Our students learn at their own pace, and they receive challenging materials or individualized help depending on their needs. Guided reading groups, math centers, science experiments, group projects and individual and shared writing. In math, we use NC Standards to develop our students’ language and comprehension skills, as well as their oral and written communication skills. In science, we focus on forces and motion, Earth science, ecosystems and molecular biology. Social studies explores history, geography, civics and economics, financial literacy and a variety of cultures.